Thursday, June 07, 2007

Learning to live Green




After reading "Weather Makers" by Tim Flannery, I have decided to really try to figure out what else I can do to make my footprint on even Earth smaller. I am going to look for more ways to reduce my output. So far I drive a Prius, am a vegetarian, recycle, use cloth grocery bags, use cosmetics that have not been tested on animals, turn off lights when not in use, educate myself about environmental issues, write letters to my representative, give money to candidates that I believe care about the same issues I care about, talk to people when ever I can about the environment, have a blog and run a book club to encourage others to read.


But I know now it is not enough. I need to do more. So I’m looking for ways to be even Greener. Here is something I had not thought about: buying toothbrushes that are made from recycled plastics. Here is a company and a list of retailers who carry the product. I will add this to my list of things I can do to make a difference.
I read that in the US we throw away 300 million toothbrushes a year. That may seem small but if you have to consider the cost of extracting raw materials vs. the cost of energy in recycling the product. The amount of product that is saved from the landfills, the cost of building and maintaining landfills as well as the environmental impact of the landfills it changes the equation. I haven’t sat down and done an analysis of this in detail, but I’m making the assumption that buying a toothbrush from recycled plastics is better overall in many ways. My next toothbrush will be green.

Here are two places I found that have toothbrushes made from recycled materials. They also have store locators:

No comments: