Saturday, June 02, 2007

Earth Trends


I think I have been like an ostrich with my head in the sand. I have not wanted to look at Climate Change, Global Warming, and Climate Crisis, what ever you want to call it squarely in the eye, so I have been skirting the issue and basically ignoring it. I bought into the coal and oil companies’ propaganda. I swallowed it hook line and sinker. Now that I'm taking a hard look at it thanks to Tim Flannery's book, “Weather Makers”, I can see that there are a lot of groups out there who are really trying to sound the alarm. I thought this crisis was too big and something I didn't need to worry about. Now I know that I was wrong. It is something that we need to worry about. I thought it was in some distant future; Tim's book really gives background in our geological history as a planet and has helped me understand what I do today does make a HUGE difference. He has opened my eyes to the fact that the "age of man" that I take for granted could very well become a temporary thing if we continue on our current course. If people wake up and realize that this threat is real and it is not in some far off distant future, we have the ingenuity to solve the problem. But time is of essence. No one can say we weren't warned. What in the world was I thinking....

No comments: