Tuesday, June 20, 2006

America's Moral Crisis and A Challenge to Fundamentalist Narrow-minded View of Creation



I am reading Jimmy Carter's book "Our Endangered Values: America's Moral Crisis." On Sunday I was in my Spinning class at the YMCA and the guy leading it was playing songs with the theme of "Fathers" because it was Father's Day. He played this song titled: "In My Father's House." The lyrics went something like this:

"My Father has a big big house, there's lots of room in his big big house, he has a big big yard, and we can play football in my Father's house;" alluding to the fact that when the Christians get to heaven there will be plenty of fun things to do including play football... Needless to say, I was quite offended by the song and thought to my self how stupid this new idea of Christ and Christianity is that is being sold to the general public. Thankfully, Jimmy Carter's book brings some reasonable thought back to the debate about values and religion in his book.

It's too bad that so many people are closed minded to the possibility of science and religion being different sides of the same truth. Do we honestly think that God created the heavens and the Earth is six "Earth-days?" Could evolution not be the invisible hand of a greater force that we can't see? Anyway, this is an interesting website that shows that perhaps our views of things are too limited.

No comments: