Sunday, March 26, 2006

Misquoting Jesus

I like where John Perkins, in Confessions of an Economic Hit Man asks the question, “if Jesus were to appear on Earth today, what would he appear as?” Would he be a bible scholar, a politician or an exploited third world worker? That is an interesting question, don’t you think? These religious fanatics hide in religion. They can’t say what they think, only what they have read and what someone else has told them they should think. That is what I learned when I was involved in the church many years ago. The churches I spent time in didn’t want you to think for yourself, just comply. We call, “spoon-fed Christians.”

I think that people use religion as a refuge, a place to hide from the world.

The Jesus in the bible was very political. He stood up to the forces of his day and time which was the religious institutions, who ruled everything. He stood against the money changers in the temple and said this is supposed to be a house of worship.

What do you think Jesus would do if he were alive today?

What I hate about the church right now is that it is being used to promote a political agenda that is quite immoral. These naïve, weak minded people are being used as political pawns, just as they have been used over and over and over again throughout history.

My mouth hangs open when I talk to seemingly intelligent people whose understanding of religion and the world is so backwards that it makes me want to cry. John Perkins said in his book, “Most American’s have a third grade understanding of the world.” We are so naïve.

No comments: