Saturday, March 04, 2006

Liberals for Guns -- Changing the Political Equation

I have to admit, I have gotten a few odd looks when I say that one of our campaign slogans should be "LIBERALS FOR GUNS!" I'm glad that Paul Begula and James Carville agree with me in their recent book, "Take it Back."

I'm dead serious too when I say that we should have bumper stickers on our cars that say "Liberals for Guns." I believe that everyone has the right to own a gun as long as they follow the laws that are currently in place in this country. I do not ever wish to have to use a gun to defend myself, but if I had to, I would want to be able to do this.

I think what made me change my mind on this issue was reading Samantha Power's book,
"A Problem from Hell: America and the Age of Genocide." I had a good friend who insisted that I read this book. I can remember thinking, what a horrible topic, I don't want to read this book! But she and I were starting a book club and we wanted to be open to read books that both of us recommended. So I read it.

I can remember that after the first several pages I was hooked. I couldn't put the book down. It was one of those things that people read changes their world view forever.

Over and over again in the book, you see how genocide happened because one side was naive in the beginning, they believed in the "goodness of mankind" and they are unarmed. I hope to write more about this book later. There are cases after cases that demonstrate this: Bosnia, Rwanda, Cambodia, and Germany.

God forbid that we should ever have another war in this country. I hope and pray that we never do. But if there ever was an situation where we had to defend ourselves from extreme right wing political views, it's a no brainier which side would win. Who has the guns? Who controls the military? The Liberals? Think again!

I hear that no one would ever dream of invading
Switzerland because almost everyone has a gun in that country.

If you want to change the political equation in this country, start promoting the idea "LIBERALS FOR GUNS!"Then we would see where the
NRA really stood on this issue!

No comments: