Friday, March 28, 2008

Baptist Leaders have a change of heart and acknowledge Global Warming

Grist reports that the Baptists are beginning to acknowledge that Global Warming can be caused by man and that we have a responsibility to change. This is good news, however, I hope I can find it in my heart to forgive them for all of the damage they have done by electing GW to the White House. Can I forgive them for their persecution of environmentalists, for their willful ignorance, for their self-rightous arrogance when confronted with the facts and science?

I will never forget standing in front of the Orlando Convention protesting where GW was speaking in 2003. It was on a Sunday afternoon and the convention center was filled with the "church people." A young man came out and quoted the bible to me. He knew everything about the old testament and nothing about current events. I reminded to him that Jesus had said to "Render to Cesar the things that are Cesar's and to God the things that are God's." I tried to explain to him that his civic duty to be an informed citizen and to know what was going on in the world. According to Jesus, it was what he was supposed to do. He just smiled and quoted the bible to me and said that God wanted GW to be the reelected. I felt frustration.


But later in the day, this very self righteous lady came walking down the street. She sneered at me and told me that I was a pig. I guess she didn't like my sign that said, "Bush Sucks!" This was 2003 when NO ONE dared to criticize him. I told her she was an ignoramus. She snarled at me and told me I was going to burn in hell. I wonder if this sister now acknowledges her sin. When the children are starving because of the coming famines that will inevitably come as the climate changes, will she be on her knees asking God for mercy? Will she acknowlege her part in their deaths?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the Baptists have started to see the error of their ways, I just don't know right now if I can forgive them... I'm sorry I feel that way, but I just can't forget right now.... Maybe in time....

No comments: