Friday, February 01, 2008

Six degrees make a difference


So what does it matter if the planet gets a little warmer? I keep hoping that the worse case scenario won't be as bad as we think it might be. I guess it's human to be optimistic. I'm nursing a bad cold hoping that if I ignore it, it will just go away. I'm doing everything I can NOT to think about it. But the stupid thing just won't leave me alone. I take medicine for it, which dampens the symptoms momentarily but they come back soon with a furry.

I think climate change is the same way. We try to ignore it, hoping it will just go away. But the scientist and climatologist just won't let us be... National Geographic put together a flash animation that shows how one degree in the global average temperature impacts our planet. Just like the symptoms of a bad cold, you see how the cumulative effect of each degree adds up to something much bigger. Our beautiful planet; our lovely home; all the goodness, love and hope in the world, at risk, for six lousy degrees...

No comments: